Thursday, 10 July 2008

Day six on the Pennine Way was wet(just for a change) LOL! I climbed Great Shunner Fell in very heavy rain driven by a strong cold wind, thankfully the rain eased in the afternoon on the walk to Keld and then on to the Tan Hill Inn. The climb up Great Shunner Fell was a pretty desperate affair as you can imagine with no reward of a view of any kind on reaching the summit. I phoned home then got on my way as I was frozen by the wind blowing through my wet clothes. Once through Thwaite the weather started to pick up and continued to improve for the reat of the day and tonight is quite pleasent. Because of the weather and everything being soaking wet I ask at the inn what accommodation they had to offer, I felt the price they were askng for a room was a bit much and was going to take a bunk in the bunk house but then I decided to give myself a break for a night so now I'm living it up in my own room in the inn. I haven't bothered going down for a meal, mostly because my clothes are half rotten after nearly a week of being wet, also I think I probably spent enough on the room so I've just had my camping food in my room. Also last night after writing my report to you I went for another pint of cider which was very good, I was about to return to my tent when this guy came in and started talking to me about my walk, he seemed quite taken by what I was doing and called his wife in to come and meet me. He then saw my glass was empty and bought me another drink and he and his wife joined me and we had several more drinks and didn't get back to my tent until gone ten. They were also staying in a tent near to mine but I didn't get to see them this morning before I left. Today I arrived here at the same time as the dutch lad I met the other day so I had a drink with him before he went on his way, I don't expect to see him again as he will be a way in front of me now. A short while ago I saw the man with the two boys outside the inn, not sure if they're in their tent or the bunkhouse, I haven't seen them to speak to for a couple of days now. I will be a bit later setting off tomorrow as they don't start breakfast until 8 and I'm usually getting away by that time but you can't have everything, at least I will start the day with everything dry.


Elaine said...

Too bad about the rain and nasty weather. I admire your stick to itness (hope that's a word). Hang in there Bob!
Elaine in Canada

Jeanette said...

Gday Bob, Sorry im a bit long getting to this post,.
Day 6 and still raining, I hope the rain eases up and a little sun comes out to warm your bones, as you push forward on your hike.It will be good when you catch up with Vicki along the way to have company at night, and be able to lighten your load by only carrying the bare essentials putting the wet tent in the car making your walk a lot easier.....Keep on Keeping on Bob...

Jim said...

Hey Bob, are you sure you can carry all that stuff you showed us in your hiking blog?.

I can hardly wait for you to post pictures about your tavels.

We have been out of pocket since July 1, first to Blogstock in Nebraska and now just got back from Colorado yesterday. I did some posting along my route. We drove about 2000 miles.

Woody Wilbury said...

Sorry to hear you're having a wet old time of it. I've been in Sardinia, where the weather has been the total opposite of what you're having (sorry, that doens't help does it!).

I know the area you're walking in reasonably well and when the weather is foul there's not a lot you can do. I had bad weather around Tan Hill in 1969, in student days. Here's hoping it gets better when you get into Tessdale and Weardale - those really are my old stomping grounds as a teenager in the 1960s. It was partly discovering gentians and Venus flytrap on the sugar limestone in Upper Teesdale that set me on the path to becoming a botanist. Enjoy; it's only rain.